Welcome to ASA’s Information Library!
- This is a resource for both students and parents, where you’ll find helpful information about studying abroad with ASA. We understand that you have a lot of questions on your mind now that you’re thinking about or preparing to study abroad, and the information below will answer many of them! Below you’ll also find frequently needed forms for accepted students.
- If you have questions about how to apply and how to make sure your credits transfer back to your home university, please read these FAQs.
- We strongly encourage both prospective students and parents, as well as those who have already been accepted to an ASA program, to read our Pre-Departure Guide for All Programs. In this guide you’ll learn tons of tips, as well as what to plan for and what to expect when you study abroad.
- IMPORTANT: If you don’t have a passport yet, you MUST apply for one immediately. If you have a passport, please check the expiration date! If your passport expires anytime between now and 6 months after the day you plan to return home from abroad, you cannot travel with that passport and must have it renewed immediately. (The airline will bar you from boarding your flight if your passport expires within 6 months.) If you are unsure, you can send ASA a copy of your passport and we will advise you on whether you need to renew it or not. If you need a new passport or a renewal, please do not delay, as they take 6 weeks to process by regular service! You can also pay extra for expedited service, which takes 2-3 weeks. Ensure you have, in hand, a valid passport – one with an expiration date as described above – at least 4 months before departure, to allow time to apply for your visa, in case one is required for your program.
Our Pre-Departure Guide for All Programs is relevant to both students and parents and covers the following topics:
- What to Pack
- Vaccinations & Prescription Medication
- Medical Care and Insurance
- Money, Banking and Budgeting
- Cell Phones
- And more!
Our Site-Specific Guides cover topics specific to each program location, such as Housing, Local Transportation, etc.:
- Aix-en-Provence, France
- Barcelona, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Cambridge, England
- Cuzco, Peru
- Dublin, Ireland (Griffith College Dublin)
- Dublin, Ireland (Maynooth University semester program)
- Dublin, Ireland (Maynooth University summer program)
- Florence, Italy
- London England (London South Bank University – Study-Only Programs)
- London, England (London South Bank University – Internship Programs)
- London, England (University of the Arts London semester program)
- London, England (University of the Arts London summer program)
- Madrid, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Oxford, England
- San José, Costa Rica
- Sevilla, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Sorrento, Italy
- Viña del Mar, Chile
IMPORTANT! PLEASE DO NOT PLAN ANY INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL DURING THE 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR PROGRAM. Students going to Spain, France, Italy, or Chile for a semester/academic year and students going to the UK for an internship (any length) or academic year – you will have to apply for a visa AND leave your passport at the Consulate while your visa is being processed – for up to a full 60 days prior to your departure date. Typically, U.S. passport holders do not have to apply for a visa for summer programs. However, if your passport is from another country, you may have to apply for a visa for a summer program and should not plan any international travel during the 3 months prior to your trip.
- Argentina – all students
- Chile – semester students
- Chile – summer students
- Costa Rica – Because all ASA programs in Costa Rica are under 12 weeks long, U.S. passport holders need not apply for a visa prior to departure.
- Italy – semester/academic year students
- Italy – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- Ireland – for students attending Griffith College
- Ireland – for students attending Maynooth University
- France – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- France – semester students
- Peru – semester/summer students
- Spain – semester/academic year students*
- Spain – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- United Kingdom semester/summer study students
*For students going on an ASA program to Spain who live or attend a college/university in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Maine, ASA can now get your Student Visa FOR YOU through our Group Visa Processing Service! The additional fee for this service is $150. Full details will be sent to eligible students after they are accepted to the ASA program. (You must attend a college/university in MA, NH, RI, VT, or ME or reside in one of these states in order to participate in ASA’s Group Visa Processing Service. If you do not live or study in MA, NH, RI, VT, or ME you will need to apply for your visa on your own – ASA will send you detailed, helpful information about how to apply for your visa on your own after you are accepted.)