Welcome to ASA’s Information Library!
- This is a resource for both students and parents, where you’ll find helpful information about studying abroad with ASA. We understand that you have a lot of questions on your mind now that you’re thinking about or preparing to study abroad, and the information below will answer many of them! Below you’ll also find frequently needed forms for accepted students.
- If you have questions about how to apply and how to make sure your credits transfer back to your home university, please read these FAQs.
- We strongly encourage both prospective students and parents, as well as those who have already been accepted to an ASA program, to read our Pre-Departure Guide for Students and Parents In this guide you’ll learn tons of tips, as well as what to plan for and what to expect when you study abroad.
- IMPORTANT TIP FOR ALL STUDENTS: If you don’t have a passport yet, you MUST apply for one immediately. If you have a passport, please check the expiration date! If your passport expires anytime between now and 6 months after the day you plan to return home from abroad, you cannot travel with that passport and must have it renewed immediately. (The airline will bar you from boarding your flight if your passport expires within 6 months.) If you are unsure, you can send ASA a copy of your passport and we will advise you on whether you need to renew it or not. If you need a new passport or a renewal, please do not delay, as they take up to 6 weeks to process by regular service! You can also pay extra for expedited service, which takes 2-3 weeks.
Our Pre-Departure Guide for Students and Parents covers the following topics:
- Vaccinations & Prescription Medication
- Medical Care and Insurance
- Money, Banking and Budgeting
- Cell Phones
- What to Pack
- And more!
Our Site-Specific Guides cover topics specific to each program location, such as Student Visa, Housing, Internet access, etc:
- Aix-en-Provence, France
- Barcelona, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Cuzco, Peru
- Dublin, Ireland (Griffith College Dublin)
- Dublin, Ireland (Maynooth University semester program)
- Dublin, Ireland (Maynooth University summer program)
- Florence, Italy
- Lima, Peru
- London England (London South Bank University)
- London, England (University of the Arts London semester program)
- London, England (University of the Arts London summer program)
- Madrid, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Oxford, England
- San José, Costa Rica
- Sevilla, Spain + Housing & Culture Handbook
- Sorrento, Italy
- Viña del Mar, Chile
IMPORTANT! PLEASE DO NOT PLAN ANY INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL DURING THE 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR PROGRAM. Students going to Spain, France, Italy, or Chile for a semester/academic year and students going to the UK for an academic year – you will have to apply for a visa AND leave your passport at the Consulate while your visa is being processed – for up to a full 60 days prior to your departure date. Typically, U.S. passport holders do not have to apply for a visa for summer programs. If your passport is from another country, you may have to apply for a visa for a summer program and should not plan any international travel during the 3 months prior to your trip.
- Argentina – all students
- Chile – semester students
- Chile – summer students
- Costa Rica – Because all ASA programs in Costa Rica are under 12 weeks long, U.S. passport holders need not apply for a visa prior to departure.
- Italy – semester/academic year students
- Italy – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- Ireland – semester and summer students
- France – CampusFrance info for semester/academic year students + Visa Instructions
- France – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- Peru – semester/summer students
- Spain – semester/academic year students
- Spain – summer students – Visa not required for programs under 90 days (U.S. passport holders only)
- United Kingdom semester/summer study students
- United Kingdom – internship students (semester, summer and academic year programs)
- United Kingdom – academic year students
How to Book your Flight
ASA International Medical Insurance Policy (included with all ASA programs)
- Financial Aid Verification Form (FAV) If you’re planning to pay for the program with financial aid, please read our Financial Aid Guidelines!
- Proof of Physical Examination form – Must be completed by your doctor and submitted to ASA before departure. (If you have had a physical within 1 year before your departure date, you can provide us with a copy of that instead.)