IAU in Aix-en-Provence, France, now offers a French Honors Program during both semester and summer programs! The French Honors Program is designed for advanced French students and French majors as an opportunity to live and study in a 100% French-speaking environment. This program offers students full immersion into their classrooms, French homestays, excursions and optional internships.
To participate, students should have taken at least 4 semesters of college level French (or equivalent).
French Honors Program Highlights:
- Students sign a contract to only speak French and will be spoken to only in French by IAU faculty and staff. In addition, students will be placed in homestays where only French is spoken.
- Semester students must take the mandatory French Honors seminar course plus 4 additional classes taught in French at the 300- or 400-level (total 16 credits). Semester students who do not wish to take all their classes in French may take 1 class in English. (At least 13 credit hours per semester must be taken in French.) Classes are taken at the IAU School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Summer students must take the mandatory French Honors seminar course plus 1 or 2 additional classes taught in French (total of 6 or 9 credits). Summer students enrolled in the French Honors Program must take all their classes in French. Classes are taken at the IAU School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Students will keep a daily journal of thoughts, feelings and experiences in French. This journal will be examined and discussed in the weekly core class.
- Exclusive receptions, cultural activities and excursions, all in French.
- Lecture series in French on topics such as politics, journalism and cultural history.
- French Language Partner Program with local French university students.
- Semester students have the option to be placed in a stage (internship) based on their academic background and career goals. (Internships are not available during summer sessions.)
- Semester students may take up to 2 of their courses at the University of Provence Aix-Marseiles I with French students (additional fee of approximately $735 applies). (Not available during summer sessions.)
Admission to the French Honors Program requires 2 items in addition to the regular application requirements:
- Letter of recommendation from a French professor
- Essay written in French describing your reasons for wanting to participate in the French Honors program
For detailed course offerings by term, please see our Course Offerings page.
Early Start Program
ASA is pleased to offer an Early Start Program in conjunction with our Fall and Spring Semester programs in Aix-en-Provence. The Early Start Program begins one week before the semester starts and is designed to help students at any French level get the most out of their semester. Early Start is an opportunity for students to brush up on their French in a fun and relaxed environment. In addition, you’ll have an extra week to settle in and get adjusted to life in France. If you haven’t taken French in a while or are just feeling unsure about your language ability, the Early Start program will help you feel more comfortable. Students who participate in Early Start will earn 1 credit, consisting of 15 in-class hours.
For full details on the Early Start Program, please click here!