Thank you for deciding to apply to ASA!
Applicants, please note:
- It’s always best to apply early, as we are on rolling admissions, and some of our most popular programs (such as Barcelona & Florence) sometimes fill up before the deadline.
- You will receive an email from us regarding your acceptance within 3 business days of receiving your complete application package. We cannot process your application until ALL requirements (listed below) have been received.
- Application Deadlines can be found on our Dates, Prices & Deadlines page.
- 2 weeks after the Application Deadline is the Forms and Payment Deadline, by which you must submit full payment for your program fees (or financial aid verification). Students may be subject to a late fee if they apply after the Application Deadline or do not complete their post-acceptance forms and make their financial arrangements before the Forms & Payment Deadline.
- If you do not yet have a passport, or if your passport expires within the next 18 months, you MUST apply for one or have it renewed immediately. Please do not delay, as they take 6 weeks to process by regular service.
- For the following ASA programs, you must have a valid (not expired) passport by the Application Deadline, in order to meet the enrollment requirements of your host institution:* Barcelona, Cuzco, Lima, Oxford, London, Dublin (Maynooth University), and the J-Term Traveling Program. * If you may not have your passport by the application deadline, PLEASE CALL us at 888-845-4272. There may be some flexibility, depending on the program you are applying for.
- For semester programs in Italy, Spain, France, and Chile, and academic year programs in the UK, you will need your passport in hand at least 3-4 months prior to departure in order to apply for a student visa. PLEASE DON’T DELAY – Click here to apply for a passport!
- BARCELONA STUDENTS – Course registration is done on a first come, first served basis. Because course registration is scheduled to open up approximately March 1 for Summer, May 1 for Fall, and Oct. 1 for Spring, we recommend you complete your application at least a week before these dates for the best course selection. Students who apply after these dates may not have all courses available to them.
- ASA cannot accept applications from outside of the U.S. or Canada.
Meet the minimum requirements. Click Here for Program Eligibility Rules
AGE: You must be at least 18 years of age.
COLLEGE PREPARATION: For most ASA programs, you must have completed at least one semester of college. However, this varies, as some programs simply require that you have graduated from high school. To make sure you have the necessary college preparation, click here.
GPA: The minimum GPA requirement varies by program. To see the GPA requirement for each of our programs, click here.
Note to students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement: For some ASA programs, applicants with a GPA that is below the minimum requirement for their program may still apply but must supplement their application by submitting 2 academic letters of recommendation and an essay explaining why your GPA is below the requirement and your reasons for wanting to study abroad. Because the GPA requirement is more flexible for certain programs and less flexible for others, ALL students whose GPA is below the minimum requirement must speak to an ASA representative before applying!
Note to pre-college applicants: Applications from high school graduates who have not yet attended college are considered on a case-by-case basis, for certain programs. Please visit our Eligibility Requirements page to see which programs are open to pre-college students. All GPA requirements listed on our Eligibility Requirements page are for current college students and college graduates. For pre-college applicants, a higher GPA than the minimum is required. In addition to the regular application requirements and documents as described on this webpage, pre-college applicants must submit 2 letters of recommendation and a letter of intent, to ensure maturity and academic preparation for a college program. Click Here to make sure you meet the eligibility requirements before applying. All pre-college applicants should speak with an ASA representative about their options before applying!
If you meet the minimum GPA requirement for your program and your GPA is below 3.0, you must submit one academic letter of recommendation from a college professor or advisor. Students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher do not need to submit a letter of recommendation, with the following EXCEPTIONS:
One academic letter of recommendation is always required, regardless of whether your GPA meets the minimum requirement, for the following programs: Oxford, London (University of the Arts), Madrid, Edinburgh, San José, Sorrento, Paris, and Aix-en-Provence (French Honors Program only; must be from a French professor).
You can have your professor fill out our Letter of Recommendation form, or you are welcome to submit your own letter. You may submit your letter of recommendation via mail, fax or email (scanned PDF).
Mail each of the following supporting documents to the address below. Since some documents must be mailed, please gather all your materials and mail all documents together in one package, if possible. If this is not possible, some (but not all) documents may be faxed or emailed (details below).
1) ONE COPY OF YOUR COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT – REQUIRED FOR ALL PROGRAMS:
An official copy of your transcript is required for the following programs and must be MAILED to ASA: Barcelona, Florence, Sorrento, Dublin, Aix-en-Provence, Paris, Madrid, San José, Cuzco, Lima, London, Edinburgh, Oxford, and the J-Term Traveling Seminar. Students applying to all other programs may submit an unofficial transcript. Unofficial transcripts can be mailed, faxed or emailed (scanned PDF).
2) TWO PASSPORT PHOTOS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS (must be MAILED): Barcelona, Sevilla, Aix-en-Provence, Edinburgh, Dublin (Maynooth University), London, Oxford, Cuzco, Lima, January Term Traveling Seminar, and San José. 3 passport photos are required for the Paris & Madrid programs.
*No passport photos are required for Viña del Mar, Florence, Dublin (Griffith College), Buenos Aires or Sorrento.
Helpful Tip: You can have passport photos taken at Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, etc. You must send us official passport photos and not snapshots or photocopies.
3) PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR PASSPORT – REQUIRED FOR ALL PROGRAMS (must be MAILED or EMAILED as a scanned PDF):
Please do not fax us a photocopy of your passport. If you don’t have a passport yet, or if your passport expires within the next 18 months, you MUST apply for one or have it renewed immediately. Please do not delay, as they take 6 weeks to process by regular service!
IMPORTANT: For the following ASA programs, you must have a valid (not expired) passport by the Application Deadline, in order to meet the mandatory enrollment requirements and deadline of your host institution: Barcelona, Cuzco, Lima, Oxford, London, Dublin (Maynooth University), and the J-Term Traveling Program. (If you are applying for one of these programs and may not have your passport by the Application Deadline, please call us at 888-845-4272. There may be some flexibility, depending on which program you’re applying for.) In addition, for semester programs in Italy, Spain, France, and Chile, and academic year programs in the UK, you will need your passport in hand at least 3-4 months prior to departure in order to apply for a student visa. PLEASE DON’T DELAY – Click here to apply for a passport!
For ASA programs not specified in the previous paragraph, we can process your application if you don’t have a passport yet – however, when you mail us the supporting documents listed here, please enclose a note confirming you’ve already applied for your passport and then mail/email us a photocopy immediately after receiving your passport. You can pick up a passport application at most U.S. Post Offices, or click here to apply for a passport.
4) RELEASE & CREDITS FORM – REQUIRED FOR ALL PROGRAMS (may be mailed, faxed or emailed as a scanned PDF):
ONE completed, signed copy of the form at the link below. Before sending this to ASA, you must sign Section 1 yourself AND have your college/university’s study abroad office sign Section 2 to ensure your credits will transfer. We will not be able to process your application unless both Section 1 and Section 2 are properly completed. (In the rare case that you are not going to transfer the credits, we can process your application if you sign both Section 1 and Section 3 yourself, leaving Section 2 blank.)
DOWNLOAD – Release & Credits Form (PDF file)
5) A PERSONAL STATEMENT IS REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS: University of the Arts London, Oxford, Aix-en-Provence (French Honors Program only – must be written in French), Paris, Sorrento, Madrid, and Edinburgh. To find out what your personal statement should entail, please check the Eligibility Requirements for your program location.
Mailing address / Contact info:
16 Cohasset Street
Roslindale, MA 02131
Tel: 888-845-4272 / 617-327-9388
Fill out the online application form at the link below. After completing the online application form, a page will display where you can pay the $50 application fee (non-refundable) and $100 program deposit by credit card. The $100 program deposit will be deducted from your total program fees and will appear as a credit on your first invoice.
If you do not wish to pay the application fee and program deposit by credit card, you may instead:
- Mail a check or money order in the amount of $150 to the address above along with the above-listed supporting documents. Check/money order should be made payable to Academic Studies Abroad.
- Send $150 via PayPal to email@example.com – in the Notes, please be sure to specify the Student’s Name and the Program (City & Term) you are applying for.