This is a resource for both students and parents, where you’ll find helpful information about studying abroad with ASA. We understand that you have a lot of questions on your mind now that you’re thinking about or preparing to study abroad, and the information below will answer many of them! Below you’ll also find frequently needed forms for accepted students.

  • We strongly encourage both prospective students and parents, as well as those who have already been accepted to an ASA program, to read our Pre-Departure Guide for All Programs. In this guide you’ll learn tons of tips, as well as what to plan for and what to expect when you study abroad.

  • IMPORTANT: If you don’t have a passport yet, you MUST apply for one immediately.  If you have a passport, please check the expiration date!  If your passport expires anytime between now and 6 months after the day you plan to return home from abroad, you cannot travel with that passport and must have it renewed immediately.  (The airline will bar you from boarding your flight if your passport expires within 6 months.)  If you are unsure, you can send ASA a copy of your passport and we will advise you on whether you need to renew it or not. If you need a new passport or a renewal, please do not delay, as they take 6 weeks to process by regular service! You can also pay extra for expedited service, which takes 2-3 weeks.  Ensure you have, in hand, a valid passport – one with an expiration date as described above – at least 4 months before departure, to allow time to apply for your visa, in case one is required for your program.

ASA’s Pre-Departure Guide for All Programs is relevant to both students and parents and covers the following topics:

  • What to Pack

  • Vaccinations & Prescription Medication

  • Medical Care and Insurance

  • Money, Banking and Budgeting

  • Cell Phones

  • Voltage Adapters

  • Safety

  • And more!

Student Visa Information (applies to U.S. passport holders only)

IMPORTANT! PLEASE DO NOT PLAN ANY INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL DURING THE 3 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE START OF YOUR PROGRAM. Students going to Spain, France, Italy, or Chile for a semester/academic year and students going to the UK for an internship (any length) or academic year – you will have to apply for a visa AND leave your passport at the Consulate while your visa is being processed – for up to a full 60 days prior to your departure date.  Typically, U.S. passport holders do not have to apply for a visa for summer programs.  However, if your passport is from another country, you may have to apply for a visa for a summer program and should not plan any international travel during the 3 months prior to your trip.

*STUDENTS GOING TO SPAIN: ASA can get your Student Visa FOR YOU if you live or attend a college/university in: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, or Vermont. Minimum number of sign-ups may be required. The additional fee for this service is $150. Full details will be sent to eligible students after they are accepted to the ASA program. If you do not live or study in the specific states listed above, you will need to apply for your visa on your own – ASA will send you detailed, helpful information about how to apply for your visa on your own after you are accepted.

How to Book your Flight

ASA International Medical Insurance Policy
(included with all ASA programs)

Useful Forms: