|Host Institution:||University of Edinburgh – Summer Academic & Internship program|
|Eligibility Rules:||click here|
|Credits:||Summer students take 2 courses and are placed in an internship for a total of 30 Scottish credits transcripted by the University of Edinburgh.|
|Academic Focus:||Business Policy and Strategy, Marketing, Operations Management, Accounting, Finance, Management of Human Resources and Enterprise in the Arts and Culture Industry.|
|Curriculum:||Summer students take Business in the Arts I and Business in the Arts II classes at the University of Edinburgh Business School and are placed in an internship with an organization at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. Attendance in the classes, completion of projects for both the classes and the internship, and the internship supervisor’s review of the intern will determine the final grade and credits transcripted.|
|Housing:||Students live in a residence hall with kitchen facilities in the city center; rooms are single occupancy. Meals are not included.|
- Friendly locals, famous for their humor and banter
- Amazing landscapes and natural scenery
- Famous for embracing the arts
- The University of Edinburgh is ranked as one of the 20 best universities in the world
- UNESCO World Heritage City
The capital of Scotland, Edinburgh is the second most visited tourist destination in the UK. Situated in the middle of the city is the UNESCO World Heritage Site, which includes the Medieval Old Town and the Georgian New Town. Imposing Edinburgh Castle sits atop a hill, looking down over the city.
Edinburgh is famous for its annual festivals, the biggest of which is the Festival Fringe. It is the largest performing arts festival in the world and runs the gamut of genres: Theatre, Comedy, Dance, Musicals, Operas, Exhibitions, and more. It is at the Festival Fringe that our students will have a guaranteed internship!
The 2-month ASA summer program in Edinburgh will provide a comprehensive introduction to the world of Theatre Arts and Arts Management through classes at one of the world’s best universities, followed by an exciting and stimulating internship assignment!
Students will spend the month of July earning 6 credits at the University of Edinburgh Business School. The University of Edinburgh is consistently ranked among the Top 20 universities in the world. Your studies will focus on Business Policy & Strategy, Marketing, Operations Management, Accounting, Finance, Human Resources, and Enterprise in the Arts & Culture Industry. These classes are designed to prepare you for your internship at the Festival Fringe, where you will work in any number of roles during the month of August.
All accepted students are guaranteed a 4-week internship with an Edinburgh Festival production company! Your overall job will be to facilitate the smooth running of the show or production you are assigned to. Tasks may include reading, analyzing, and improving scripts; reporting on productions and writing reviews; observing rehearsals and scouting for shows to bring to other festivals; participating in educational programs and networking events; working with the press to market shows; and stage-crew and event monitoring.
Students will live in a residence hall; rooms are single occupancy. Meals are not included, but the residence hall has kitchen facilities. All ASA housing is located in safe neighborhoods and within a reasonable distance from the university. For full details about ASA housing, as well as answers to common questions, please visit our Housing Page!
Please CLICK HERE for Costs and Dates.
What’s Included – Edinburgh
- HOUSING: Students live in a residence hall with kitchen facilities; rooms are single occupancy. Meals are not included.
- DAY EXCURSIONS: 1 day excursion, location to be decided. Meals are not included on excursions.
- TUITION: at the University of Edinburgh.
- ACADEMIC CREDITS: Students who receive pre-approval from their home institution can transfer the credits they earn to their home institution. Possible number of semester credits: 6 – 10. University of Edinburgh transcript will show 30 Scottish credits earned upon succesful completion of the full program.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT: At the conclusion of the program, an official transcript from the University of Edinburgh will be sent to your home institution.
- INTERNET ACCESS: at their host university.
- AIRPORT PICK-UP: at Edinburgh (EDI) airport for students who arrive on the official arrival date by the designated time.
- MEDICAL INSURANCE: for a Description of Coverage, please visit our Information Library.
- SITE DIRECTOR: on-site to assist students with any academic or cultural difficulties they may encounter.
- VISA ADVISING: While students are ultimately responsible for obtaining their visa (if required for their term/host country), ASA will provide detailed, helpful information upon acceptance as to which visa students will need and how to go about applying for one. Please click here and scroll down to “Student Visa Information” to find out if a visa is required for your program.
- PRE-DEPARTURE PACKET & ON-SITE ORIENTATION
- Damage deposit of £250, in the form of a credit card authorization upon arrival
- Books & materials
- Personal expenses
- Local transportation
- UK Visa
- Meals & laundry
- Meals on excursions
NOTE: If you need a “Costs of Attendance” budget for your financial aid office, or simply need more details about the additional costs listed above, please email chelsea(at)academicstudies.com.
Please CLICK HERE for the detailed program itinerary.
We encourage both prospective students and parents, as well as those who have already been accepted to an ASA program, to visit our INFORMATION LIBRARY. Here you will find tons of helpful info to help you know what to plan for and what to expect, such as:
- ASA Guide to Study Abroad
- Student Visa info
- Medical Insurance info
- Booking your flight
- Financial Aid info