- ICDS Institutional Video: https://vimeo.com/104051235
- ICDS Homestay Video: https://vimeo.com/104336892
- ICDS Service-Learning Video: https://vimeo.com/104338089
- ICDS Service-Learning: Painting a Mural: https://vimeo.com/124227125
- ICDS Trip to Tortuguero: https://vimeo.com/122361923
|Host Institution:||International Center for Development Studies & Universidad Latina de Costa Rica – Semester, Summer & Academic Year programs|
|Eligibility Rules:||click here|
|Language/Academic Focus:||Courses available in Spanish and English. Subject areas include Development in Latin America, Spanish Language, Latin American Film, Central American Literature, Environmental Studies and Sustainability, Human Rights, International Business, Latin American Society & Culture, Health Care in Latin America. (Click here for Course Offerings)|
|Housing:||Students will live with Costa Rican host families to improve their Spanish and gain a better understanding of Costa Rican culture. Host families will provide weekly laundry, 2 meals per day during the week (Mon-Thurs) and 3 meals per day on weekends (Fri-Sun). For further information about living with a host family, please click here!|
|Sample Day Excursions:||Guayabo, Irazú Volcano, Orosi Valley, Doka Coffee Estate|
|Sample Overnight Excursions:||Central Pacific Coast, Tortuguero, Nicaragua, Punta Leona, Monteverde|
- Capital of Costa Rica
- Large student population
- Courses taught in English and Spanish
- Take classes with international students and Costa Rican students
- Small class sizes
For such a small country, Costa Rica really has a lot to brag about. It covers only 0.03 % of the surface of the globe, but it proudly shelters 6% of the existing biodiversity in the entire world. In addition, a quarter of the country’s land is protected natural territory. It is also one of the most peaceful countries on earth and has not had an army since 1949. The money saved by not having an army has been invested in the Costa Rican people (known as “Ticos”), who benefit from one of the best health care systems in the world.
Located in Central America, south of Nicaragua and north of Panama, Costa Rica is blessed with the Atlantic Ocean to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the west. While the overall climate is tropical, the weather at higher elevations can can be cooler than the weather near the coast. Around 5 million people live in Costa Rica’s seven provinces.
For those who love outdoor activities, Costa Rica is the place to be, with surfing and snorkeling to ziplining and hiking. Thanks to beautiful beaches on both sides of the country and mountains and volcanos in the interior, there is always something drawing you closer to the wonders of nature.
With a highly qualified and professional international team, ICDS offers a variety of educational programs and academic tracks. The goal is to provide international students with the opportunity to sharpen their Spanish skills, gain an understanding of Central and Latin American culture, and acquire in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in sustainability, environment, and development.
Currently, ICDS offers several different program tracks in environment, sustainability, development, and human rights. All ICDS programs are interdisciplinary and highly participatory, and offer experiential learning opportunities through field trips and site visits related to your coursework. In addition, Costa Rican students from the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica are now taking ICDS classes along with American study abroad students, allowing our students the chance to easily make friends with locals!
Orientation at ICDS consists of 2 days in the mountains north of San José. An interactive workshop functions as a “buffer” to help students adjust to culture shock. The session is conducted by ICDS staff, as well as a professional psychologist with ample experience in the area of multicultural education. Practical information about transportation, housing, and communication is also provided, with an emphasis on safety in and around the San José area.
Universidad Latina de Costa Rica
The Universidad Latina de Costa Rica is the largest private university in Costa Rica with over 16,000 students. It is located in an area of the city called, “San Pedro de Montes de Oca,” which is very close to the Universidad de Costa Rica, which enrolls another 39,000 students. It is mainly a student area, so there are lots of things for ASA students to do.
With its modern facilities, experienced staff, and extensive student services, ULatina provides the perfect environment for ICDS’s highly participatory programs by involving Costa Rican students in classes and activities, thereby enhancing students’ academic and cultural experience.
All students live with Costa Rican host families, who will provide 2 meals a day Monday-Thursday and 3 meals a day Friday-Sunday, plus one load of laundry per week. All ASA student housing is located in safe neighborhoods, within a reasonable distance from the university. Full details about ASA housing, as well as answers to commonly asked questions, can be found on our Housing page.
ASA semester programs in San José include 2 overnight excursions and 5 day excursions. Summer programs include 2 day excursions. Destinations may vary by term. Past terms have included trips to:
- Central Pacific Coast (overnight excursion) – Visit the beautiful Central Pacific coast of Costa Rica and stay at Punta Leona, a relaxing hotel and beach resort.
- Guayabo (day excursion) – Guayabo is an ancient city where our students can learn about the archaeological and cultural importance it holds for Costa Rica.
- Irazú Volcano (day excursion) – The highest active volcano in Costa Rica has a road that leads right to the summit, where you can see straight down into the craters!
- Orosi Valley (day excursion) – Orosi is considered by many to be the most beautiful valley in Costa Rica. On a clear day, you can see it from Irazú and it is an easy trip from Cartago, the former capital city.
Costs and Dates
Please CLICK HERE for Costs and Dates.
- ROOM & BOARD with a Costa Rican host family. Includes 2 meals a day on weekdays, 3 meals a day on weekends and holidays, and one load of laundry per week. Rooms are single occupancy – 1 student per family. (For further information about living with a host family, as well as answers to commonly asked questions, please click here!)
- EXCURSIONS: 2 overnight excursions and 4 site visits/day excursions are included with all semester and quarter programs. 2 site visits/day excursions are included with all summer programs.
- TUITION at ICDS and the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica.
- ACADEMIC CREDITS: Students who receive pre-approval from their home institution can transfer the credits they earn to their home institution. Possible number of semester credits: 15 per semester program, 10 per quarter program, or 6 per summer program.
- OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT: At the conclusion of the program, an official transcript from the Universidad Latina de Costa Rica will be sent to your home institution.
- INTERNET ACCESS at their host institution.
- AIRPORT PICK-UP at San Jose (SJO) airport for students who arrive on the official arrival date by the designated time.
- AIRPORT DROP-OFF at San Jose (SJO) airport for students to depart on the designated date.
- MEDICAL INSURANCE: for a Description of Coverage, please visit our Information Library.
- SITE DIRECTOR: Students will have an on-site director to assist them with any academic or cultural difficulties they may encounter.
- VISA ADVISING: While students are ultimately responsible for obtaining their visa (if required for their term/host country), ASA will provide detailed, helpful information upon acceptance as to which visa students will need and how to go about applying for one. Please click here and scroll down to “Student Visa Information” to find out if a visa is required for your program.
- PRE-DEPARTURE ONLINE VIDEO PROGRAM (semester programs only), PRE-DEPARTURE PACKET & ON-SITE ORIENTATION
- Books & materials
- Personal expenses
- Local transportation
- Student Visa, if required
- Lunch (weekdays)
- Meals on excursions
NOTE: If you need a “Costs of Attendance” budget for your financial aid office, or simply need more details about the additional costs listed above, please email chelsea(at)academicstudies.com.
Please CLICK HERE for detailed program itineraries.
ICDS is a knowledge center that promotes experiential and service learning in Costa Rica. Motivated students are encouraged to participate in a variety of fields pertaining to sustainable development in Latin America. As part of its study abroad programs, ICDS offers students.
- The opportunity to complement their studies by volunteering
- Internship possibilities for students who want to stay longer after the academic program or who want to come to Costa Rica for a semester or summer to intern.
Volunteer work and internships give ICDS students the opportunity to put into practice what they learn in the classroom and to use their Spanish skills, to be involved with leading practitioners in the field, and to contribute to the efforts for sustainable human development in Costa Rica. Placements can vary from semester to semester and depend on ICDS’s and partner institutions current projects as well as the current political and social situations of the country. Placements in both research internships and work co-ops are determined based on students’ interest, language proficiency, and research skills and experience, as well as the host institution’s needs.
Please click HEREfor examples of opportunities available. To find out what opportunities will be available during your time abroad, please email info (at) academicstudies.com.
If you are interested in Volunteering during your summer or semester, you will need to complete this application form and return it to info (at) academicstudies.com.
We encourage both prospective students and parents, as well as those who have already been accepted to an ASA program, to visit our INFORMATION LIBRARY. Here you will find tons of helpful info to help you know what to plan for and what to expect, such as:
- ASA Guide to Study Abroad
- Student Visa info
- Medical Insurance info
- Booking your flight
- Financial Aid info