|Summer 2018||click here for price||click here for dates|
Language Eligibility: open to all levels of Spanish.
For additional eligibility requirements such as minimum GPA, click here.
Total contact hours: 45, 90 or 135* per summer session. 15 contact hours = 1 semester credit. 10 contact hours = 1 quarter unit.
Possible U.S. Credits: 3, 6 or 9* semester credits per summer session. (*Students may take 9 credits for an additional fee of $950.)
Final transcript is issued by the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (UAB). Classes are taken with other American and foreign students.
Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona – Summer Course Offerings
**Students are advised to APPLY EARLY for the best course selection, as classes are assigned on a first come, first served basis, and there are a limited number of seats per subject. Students who wait until the Application Deadline to apply may not have all courses available to them. Early application is also recommended because Barcelona is a very popular location and sometimes fills to capacity prior to the Application Deadline. If you are concerned about getting into a particular class, please call us at 888-845-4272 to confirm availability.
Summer classes at the Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona (UAB) are held Monday through Thursday at the UAB Eixample campus. Located in the city center of Barcelona in the architecturally famous “Example” district of Barcelona, the UAB’s Eixample Campus is centrally located near the Passeig de Gracia and Barcelona’s Ciutat Vella (old city). The Eixample Campus is also located close to one of the most famous streets in all of Barcelona, the visually stunning Passeig de Gracia. Here you can find some of Barcelona’s most famous modernist points of interest, including Gaudi’s Casa Mila and Casa Batllo, as well as the architecturally curious “Block of Discord.”
ASA students live in shared apartments or with Spanish host families that are conveniently located to both campuses – it takes most students only 15-25 minutes by subway.
- Maximum of 20 students per class for the Spanish Language classes.
- Maximum of 15 students per class for the electives.
- Students may take 3 credits, 6 credits, or 9 credits*. (*Additional fee of $950).
- It is not mandatory to take Spanish language.
All students MUST get 3-4 elective courses approved by their home institution, in case of changes in course availability or schedule conflicts. That way, if a course is full or cancelled, or or if the courses you want to take meet at the same time, you’ll have back-ups that you know your school will accept. If you plan to take 1 elective, get 3 approved; if you plan to take 2 electives, get 4 approved. The UAB will not process your registration if this requirement is not met.
Students who enroll in the UAB Summer program have 4 options:
- Option 1: Take one 3-credit Spanish language class.
- Option 2: Take one 3-credit Spanish language class and one 3-credit elective for a total of 6 semester credits.
- Option 3: Take 1, 3-credit elective and no Spanish class for a total of 3 semester credits.
- Option 4: Take 2, 3-credit electives and no Spanish class for a total of 6 credits.
*Students choosing Option 2 or 4 may take an additional elective (total 9 credits) for an additional fee of $950. Course selection will be more limited for students taking 2-3 electives, due to potential schedule conflicts.
Spanish Language Classes
It is optional to take Spanish language on the UAB Summer program. Language levels listed below (A1, A2, etc.) are from the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
All Spanish language classes are worth 3 semester credits (45 contact hours).
Students who enroll in a Spanish language class will take a placement test online shortly before departure. The placement test will determine which Spanish level you are placed in.
Spanish Language, Level A1 – Taught in Spanish
Spanish Language, Level A2 – Taught in Spanish
Low Intermediate Level
Spanish Language, Level B1.1 – Taught in Spanish
Spanish Language, Level B1.2 – Taught in Spanish
High Intermediate Level
Spanish Language, Level B2.1 – Taught in Spanish
Spanish Language, Level B2.2 – Taught in Spanish
Electives are taught in English, unless otherwise noted and have no pre-requisites, unless otherwise noted. All elective classes are Upper Division.
All elective classes are worth 3 semester credits (45 contact hours). Course offerings are subject to change. LIMITED SEATS PER SUBJECT.
ALL STUDENTS MUST HAVE 3-4 ELECTIVES PRE-APPROVED BY THEIR HOME INSTITUTION. Further details about this can be found below, under the “Timetable” section.
Spanish Art and Cultural Heritage
International Marketing Strategies
E-Commerce and Online Businesses
Timetable (Class Schedule)
Click here to view the Summer 2017 Timetable (class days & times).
Timetables for upcoming terms are typically released just shortly before course registration opens – around Feb. 15-March 1 for the Summer term. Check back with this webpage for updates. In the meantime until the Timetable is available for your term, you should work on getting your classes approved by your home institution, using the guidelines below. Above you will find the list of available electives. We will not be able to register you for classes unless you have your top choices AND alternates approved, as described in the Helpful Tips below!
- All students MUST get 3-4 electives approved by their academic advisor, in case of changes in course availability or schedule conflicts. If you plan to take 1 elective, you must have a total of 3 approved; if you plan to take 2 electives, you must have a total of 4 approved. That way, if a course is full or cancelled, or or if 2 courses you want to take meet at the same time, you’ll have back-ups that you know your school will accept. When you pre-register for classes (this happens after you’re accepted), you will have to list the required number of electives, otherwise the UAB will not process your registration.
- Spanish Language classes are not found on the timetable. If you plan to take Spanish, it will be scheduled around your elective choices, after you arrive in Barcelona. So, when you pre-register for classes, you will only have to indicate the electives you want to take.
- You are not guaranteed any particular time slot, schedule, or course selection.
- There is a fee of €100 for each 3 credits you drop. If you drop a class and replace it with an equivalent class, there is NO fee.